Pipe Testing Division
Pipe Processing & Storage Divisions
- Appointments for pickup, and delivery, of loads are required. Loading and unloading is performed on a first come, first served basis.
- Yard hours are Monday – Friday, from 7:00 AM until 3:30 PM. Trucks arriving after 2:00 PM will not be loaded and must be rescheduled.
- Emergency, after hours, weekends and holiday loads are available at an additional cost.
- Trucks being loaded must remove side stakes. No low-boys will be loaded with tubular products.
- A product release is required to load trucks. The release can be submitted by fax or email and must have the following information:
o Order number
o Loading instructions, i.e. strips 2x4, 4x4, or pyramid
o Ship to information
o Trucking company name and phone number for personnel handling the loads
Located approximately two miles from U. S. Steel, Fairfield Works, Western Pipe Service (WPS) was founded in February, 1982 by Western Steel, Inc. to finish and ship seamless pipe that was produced by U. S. Steel’s new seamless pipe mill (Fairfield Tubular Operations). WPS obtained API certification for both threading and beveling of seamless tubular products in 1983, the same year that the Fairfield Seamless mill opened. Upon opening of the pipe mill, U. S. Steel decided to perform third party inspections of all material being produced, including NDT and thread inspection, at WPS. Today, WPS continues to supply U. S. Steel Fairfield Tubular Operations with additional thread and beveling capacity as well as non-destructive testing and product shipping.
The facility is currently situated on 150 acres that includes 186,000 square feet of operational buildings. Pipe storage is
approximately 90 acres and includes a 260,000 square foot inside storage facility for alloys and accessories.
WPS capabilities include pipe diameters from 4 1/2” to 9 5/8”, in wall thicknesses ranging from 0.205” up to 1.200”. WPS can thread and bevel over 10,000 tons per month that includes API short/long, buttress, and U. S. Steel CDC proprietary threads. Additionally, WPS line pipe production includes both single and double random lengths, per API specification 5L and any customer specifications.
"QUALITY THRU TEAMWORK"
Trucking Customer Products